The summer is really here in the Philippines. I am camping inside the safe walls of my room, avoiding the harsh rays of the sun, and fattening myself up. Of course, reading books is on the top of my list for summer (I mean, what’s new? It’s always included in my activities!)
Last March, I was able to read 2 out of the 3 required readings:
1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak — hardbound copy; 1st American edition. I was happy with this book and also because I was able to join the book club’s book discussion after months of absences! [“The consequence of this is that I’m always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both.” ― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief]
2. Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff — e-book copy from Barnes & Noble. I like this book because of its psycho-thriller plot, unique storytelling, and it reminds me of Alice Sebold’s The Lovely Bones and Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood. I reviewed it over at MangoJuiced.com [Review: Paper Valentine (Brenna Yovanoff)]
And now for the month of April:
1. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff — paperback copy; this book is for the book tour from the book club and it’s now my turn, finally! I signed up for the tour because it’s an interesting read about a writer and a bookseller in an epistolary format.
2. The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes — e-book copy; this is a buddy read between me and Louize. This is supposed to be started on the last week of March but I forgot (eeep!).
3. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson — hardbound copy but e-book and audiobook copy for now because my copy is still with Ingrid. This is for the book club’s anniversary/book discussion this month!
4. Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg — e-book copy from Barnes & Noble; I’ve been reading this for the past two weeks for MangoJuiced.com. I find myself reading it slow because I am absorbing every little advices Sheryl Sandberg has to say. It’s so empowering and self-esteem boosting!
I found myself panicking yesterday because 2 of the books above should be done by now but I must calm my tits and enjoy reading. Good luck to me! :)
How about you? What are you reading this month?
See other book bloggers Required Readings: