Days before the meet-up, I was having second-thoughts on attending the meet-up and making up alibis. I was expecting that I’ll be left-out or ignored when I meet people I talk to the internet since they already met each other before blah, blah, blah but I’m so glad with my decision and experienced the greatest day of my life with people who loves book as much I love them (cliche to say this, but it is oh-so-true!)! Aside from meeting these awesome friends from the internet (and now friends in real life), I also met two Filipino authors and had a talk with them!
Samantha Sotto, the author of the book, Before Ever After, telling us her story about being published, the inspirations behind the story of the book, backpacking, Doctor Who and also, chickens. Her book was launched yesterday at National Bookstore Glorietta 5 and now available in our major local bookstores! And, if you’re from other countries, you can pre-order it online! Check this for more info!
Another is Mina V. Esguerra, the author behind the chick-lit novellas My Imaginary Ex, No Strings Attached, Fairy Tale Fail, and Love Your Frenemies and she told us her adventures in self-publishing (without an agent!) and how she is writing her new books now. I’m still on the look out for the books here in the South!
We had games—The Literary Pop Quiz—led by our gamemaster, Jzhun, and our chillax team, TEAM ANGUS, won! That gave us the opportunity to grab the books we want on the book pile:
And I got these:
the books/freebies from GR people (L-R):
- Unang Ulan ng Mayo by Ellen Sicat – I got from K.D. and I’ve been wanting to read a Filipino book! I hope I’ll read this sooner :)
- The God Box by Alex Sanchez – from Tina. I read her review about this and I’m curious about LGBTQ-themed books so this will be the first
- The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova – from Kwesi! He recommended this to me so he gave me a copy.
- To Kill a Mockingbird DVD – from Jzhun! Because we both loved Harper Lee’s book :)
- corner bookmarks from Louize
- Book Critters pin from Angus
Then, during the digging the books, I got only four (I can’t bring more books anymore because I don’t have any space!)
- Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre – which is actually Kwesi and I stole it. Ha-ha! No, I promise I’ll give it back to him after reading it.
- Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates – I don’t know who’s the previous owner but I got this since I haven’t read it and seen some parts of the film.
- The Boy Book by E. Lockhart – I also don’t know who’s the previous owner and I liked the cover and got it.
- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan – I think this is from Aldrin and I’ll give this a shot (since I didn’t like the Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief)
Before this post end, I would like to greet Kuya Doni, Samantha Sotto and Joyzi again a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
More meet-ups, new friends and books to come!